On the Setauket Village
Green, stands the beautiful Emma S. Clark Memorial Library. It stands
on the property where Thomas S. Mount, father of William
Sidney Mount, owned a general store and tavern.
The library was dedicated on
October 3, 1892 by Thomas Hodgkins. He named it after his favorite
niece Emma Clark who died in 1889. The dedication day would have
been the day of Emma's 56th birthday. Thomas Hodgkins raised Emma
S. Clark and her sister Annie because their parents died when they were
It was $16,000 for
the construction and $12,000 for the land. That was a lot of money for
a building in the 19th century. Thomas Hodgkins got the money from a candy
store where he made millions of dollars. He gave the library to the community
as a gift because he wanted to show his respect for Emma S. Clark when
she died. Thomas Hodgkins died on November 25, 1892, shortly
after the library's opening.
The library has 2 stories and
they might add on to the library more. The library is made out of brick,
slate, wood and the foundation is stone. There is a big clock on the side
of the building, but nobody knows who built it.
The first person to work there
was Anna Morand because Thomas Hodgkins was a very good friend of hers.
Anna Morand gave the first library card to Bessie Strong.
There is a stained glass window of
the angel, Gabrielle, in the reading room. All the different colors look
If you want to learn more about
Three Village History, come to the Emma S. Clark Memorial Library!
It is open from 9:00 AM to 9:00
PM on Mondays through Friday. On Saturday, it is opened from 9:00
AM to 5:00 PM, and on Sunday, it is open from 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM.
Visit the Emma S. Clark Library