The Old Field Lighthouse
The Old Field Lighthouse began construction in 1823 for $2,500 by the united States Government. The rest of the lighthouse was finished in 1824 for $1,500.
The first light came from 9 whale oil lamps and was magnified by a big glass reflector. This original light was in a different tower than it is in now. In 1868, a second lighthouse was built. Kerosene lamps lit the rebuilt lighthouse. In 1933, an automatic revolving light on a steel tower was built to the east and in front of the lighthouse. When the lighthouse was in use, the caretaker used the Old Field Village Hall as a home.
Now, the Old Field Constable and his family use the house. The U.S. Government gave it back to Old Field in 1935, but the government can take it back in case of a national emergency. The Coast Guard took it back during World War II, but after the war they gave it back to Old Field. The light shines on the beautiful Long Island Sound.
Back to home page | Back to map of 3Village | To Setauket | To Stony Brook | To Old Field | To 3Village Links